Follow

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Eating with an Olympian!



















To keep on with the theme of March being National Nutrition Month, we interviewed Olympian Shevon Stoddart to find out what she eats, how she stays fit, and what keeps her going. Not only does Shevon have a great athletic body, she is a multi-talented woman, she is an outstanding 400-meter hurdler as well as a singer and songwriter. She was born in Kingston, Jamaica. At the early age of 5, she moved to Uniondale, New York. Her track career started in middle school, which by 9th grade, Shevon Stoddart was ranked #3 in the state of New York in the 400meters. The 400 intermediate hurdles was introduced to Shevon in the 10th grade were she became a 2-time State Championship. She went on to make her first Olympic team in 2004 as a junior in College and made her first World Champion team in 2005. She is preparing for the 2016 Olympic Games, which will be held in Rio, Brazil.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shevon-Stoddart-official/249482315077548


We here at Co-E1 are so excited about your success and to hear about how your training is going for the upcoming Olympics. You are obviously in great shape and with this month being national nutrition moth we thought we could ask you about your eating habits.

 I'm sure many people would like to know your daily eating routine. What do you generally like to eat for your meals and snacks through out the day?

For breakfast I generally eat oatmeal, cereal, or 2 waffles (low calorie) and fruit.

I always pack my lunch so that I have something to eat right after training. This would consist of an sandwich (typically tuna or turkey), fruit, a small serving of potato chips and bottled water. I don't drink fizzy drinks or juice, they have too much sugar. I try to get all my sugars from fruit. 

Snacks would be something like a protein shake, granola bar, or a peanut butter and jam sandwich. 

I prepare dinner around 6pm which would be chicken, fish or a Turkey dish with lots of veggies on the side. I rarely eat red meat.

Health Tip! You can see that she has protein with every meal. Protein gives energy and helps to repair and build tissues, muscles, skin, bones, cartilage and blood. Plus, for those of us who would like to improve the look of our nails and hair, we must consider our protein intake since both hair and nails are basically made from protein.

What is your Motivation to stay in shape?
Winning Gold



Where do you get your talents from?
For running, my dad, Zoeth Stoddart. He ran the 400m and 800m and ran 1:46 for 800m. My dad could also sing a little bit but I always just had a love for singing and entertaining.
I always wanted to do talent shows and sing at weddings. I started singing in my mum’s kitchen. She is a hair stylist and the kitchen is where she used to do her clients’ hair.

Have you ever been heavy/overweight? And what are your struggles in your healthy lifestyle?
I have never been over weight, I have always been petite and because I have small body frame and I burn fat quickly, I have to make sure I'm actually eating enough food so that I have fat to burn and not  burn into muscle. My workouts are pretty intense, so I have to prepare my body to endure. 

In what ways has Co-E1 ENADA products helped you?
I use co-e1 everyday before,during and after training. I love it because it's natural it has improved my reaction time and it gives me a clean boost before my workouts. It is help my muscles recover and keeps my energy levels sustained throughout my workouts. It has other health benefits as well that I like. 

What are your thoughts on fad diets?
I do not diet. I don't believe in diets. I believe that people should just learn to eat healthy and control portion size. I get hungry every 3 hours so I tend to eat 5-6 smaller meals a day.

Health Tip! As long as you choose the right foods and watch portion size, eating smaller meals through out the day can help you lose weight and keep you energized. But it is not for everyone, especially if you have trouble controlling the amount you eat, or if you don't have time to plan and prepare your healthy snacks and meals

Your favorite healthy treat?
I love Sweets, so my healthy treat would be some yogurt and fruits. 



Are you most of your friends into healthy eating/living? We feel like it’s often easier to succeed when your friends are healthy too.
Yes, most of my friends eat healthy and workout to keep a healthy lifestyle.  I surround myself with positive people and they always come to me if they ever need advice on works and diet.

Health Tip! If you have a real and tangible like-minded social group, you are much less likely to be affected by the artificial ones created by advertisers, marketers, and technology. If you want to get healthy, hang around other healthy people and others striving to be healthy.

Quick, easy healthy recipe?
I love to cook, but one of the easiest and healthy meals to prepare is spaghetti with meat sauce and side salad.

What is your cheat meal, how often do you indulge?
I love Pizza. I may have pizza twice a month.  

What is your Weekly workout schedule?
I workout 6 days a week and I lift weights 2-3 times a week. I'm on the track for 2 and half hours and Weight room for 1 hour. I also do ab crunches, at least 500 every night before bed. It's important for me to keep my core strong.







Like this article? Subscribe and join our email list HERE, for monthly news letters and other health tips!



No comments:

Post a Comment

facebook